When I was 18 or so I took up studying Kenpo, a fantastic Japanese martial art. I never really got good at it, but training in it has saved me from injury a number of times, both in the fast moving dangers of a busy kitchen (knives, burning hot things, crazy Mexican cooks, etc.) and on the road as well.
I'm basically just a goof. I dabble in web design and web programming. I'm still very much a beginner with all of this. This site is completely laied out with CSS, and uses PHP in conjunction with a MySQL database for all of the navigation and page content. I'm certain that it could be done much more intelligently than I've done, so am currently (when not playing EverQuest) looking for info on using PHP for dynamic site navigation and content.
I also play the guitar. My music teachers since I could remember always loved me. Apparently I have "perfect pitch". This is actually a curse as it makes me far too lazy to learn music theory or how to read sheet music. It is easier to hear a song and learn it audibly. When Metallica hit the scenes in the early 80's I was in my teens, and I was playing right along with them in my bedroom, learned just by hearing them on my tape cassettes. I don't just play metal though; I also dabble in classical, flamenco, blues, rock, and dash of jazz.
I do not do drugs, though I do drink. I care about my body and health (both mental and physical health). I try to eat healthy foods, though some times I will eat food that I know isn't all that good for me. As long as I also include healthy foods in my diet, I think it's "okay" to indulge in some less wholesome foods here and there too. I try to get at least some exercise every day; it doesn't have to be intense, just something to get my heart rate up.
Enough about me. FYI, the beautiful gal with me in the pics above is my mom Jeannie. She's absolutely the most AWESOME mom there has ever been. Hands down, she's the best of the best!
About Mike Rondeau
I'm basically a casual student of:
- Web design, including
- HTML: Hyper Text Markup Language
- CSS: Cascading Style Sheets
- Java Script
- ASP: Active Server Pages
- PHP: PHP Hypertext Preprocessor
- Flash Animation
- Photoshop CS2
- EverQuest, baby, yeah!
I am also a more dedicated student of:
- For roughly 12 or 14 years or so I cooked gourmet Italian for a job. I cooked for 9 1/2 years at Bugatti's. Before this company I was Sous Chef at another, equally wonderful Italian place for about 3 years.
- Kosho Shorei Ryu Kenpo. This is an incredible way of life. It is summed up in the crest of the system, called the "Sho Chiku Bai". You may frequently see it as a large patch sewn onto the back of our "gi's", or training uniforms. On the surface it is a japanese martial art, but it is really a way of life. With its roots deep in Zen Buddhism, Kosho Ryu began in the Shaolin Temple in China. It later emigrated to Kyushu Japan as the family art of the Mitose clan. Prior to WW2, James Mitose moved to Hawaii, taking his family Art with him, where he taught Kenpo (Kempo in Chinese) to the Americans there. It quickly took off, and Master James Mitose's students taught Kenpo all across the U.S.A.. Bruce Juchnik, from Sacramento California, later was named by Mitose "Hanshi", or "Root Master" of all of Kosho Shorei Ryu Kenpo, handing over his family tradition to Mr. Juchnik. One of Juchnik Hanshi's top students, ranked second in all of Kosho Ryu under Bruce Juchnik, is Larry Kraxburger "Shihan", or "Master Teacher". I was infinitely lucky. As a teen in high school, I met Larry Kraxburger at my school; he was our campus security. He was really really cool. He would always observe my friends and I playing hacky sack on lunch break, "studying motion" he would tell us. His dojo was actually less than a mile from my home, so I started taking classes from him. I had no idea, for a long time, just how lucky I was to have him as my Sensei. Eventually I learned that he was actually quite famous in the Kenpo world, frequently the guest and teacher of seminars, across the country, and even the world. I've been blessed to meet Bruce Juchnik Hanshi 5 or 6 times here in the Portland Oregon area when he would come to visit our dojo! Always an amazing experience.
- B.O.T.A. Builders Of The Adytum
- F.L.O. Fraternity of the Hidden Light
Generally I tend to rotate through all of these interests of mine. I am always working on one of these things, and really have no social life what so ever. Call me crazy, but I'm perfectly happy like this! Social activities usually find me bored silly and wanting to be at home instead, pursuing what I'm really interested in. Maybe I'm selfish... I would rather be selfish and HAPPY than selfless and miserable.
For my Vampire Wars fun on Facebook :)
I made this next animated Gif image with Adobe Photoshop and a neat little program called Fun Morph. I used 2 separate photos. The first one is of me smiling. The second one I used photoshop to give myself fangs, stretch out the shape of my eyes and nose to make me more bat-like and just mean looking. Lastly, I used "fun morph" to make photo number one to "morph" into photo number two, resulting in the following, very cool animation. Yeah, I'm a nerd!
Halloween in high school (1987 or '88)...
Playing my Ibanez JS100...